Wednesday 3 April 2013

Audience Theory in relation to my music video

Media Theory

Throughout the development of my music video, I researched into the 5 key aspects of music videos that we (the audience) should look out for. One of these key aspects are thought beats which is seeing the sound in your head first. He stated that we should take into account the structure of the song for example the chorus and we should also take into account the voice of the song. By applying this to my music video research I was able to understand how the song reflects the music videos by listening to the song first and interpreting it visually in my own way through the use of mood boards and general feelings I get from the video. Furthermore, by adapting this ideology to my work, I learnt that the artists voice is extremely unique and can form identification or trademarks that work well with the star image. Roland Barthes theory of the Grain of voice can be related to this. He sees the singing voice as an expressive instrument and therefore able to make associations of its own. Thirdly, Goodwin also points out the artists mode of address. Songs can be seen as stories and the artist the storyteller, making the music video a two communication device, them telling us a story and us listening. This idea was the first thing to drive my to weaving a narrative through my music video.

Another key point of Goodwin’s theory was that songs fail to give us the complete narrative. We only tend to get a gist of the meaning of the song and then tend to make up our own idea of what is being told. Goodwin explains that music videos should ignore common narrative. It is important in their role of advertising . Music videos should coherent repeatability which inspired me to use this in my own music video in an abstract, visually appealing form. Narrative and performance work hand in hand it makes it easier for the audience to watch over and over without losing interest. The artist acting as both narrator & participant helps to increase the authenticity however the lip sync and other mimed actions remains the heart of music videos. The audience need to believe this is real. Narrative & Performance.

Similar to the idea of repeatability, I knew I needed to relate the visuals to the song. There are three ways in which music videos work to promote a song. Music videos can use a set of images to illustrate the meaning of lyrics & genre, this is the most common and this is what I did in the form of my conceptual elements running through my video, the meanings and effects were manipulated and constantly shown through the video and drummed into our vision. This is where the meaning of the song is completely ignored but it still is very visually stimulating and therefore the audience are able to remember the video through this.

The media language of my music video suggest that the images are used to represent the meanings of the lyrics and genre based of the views of Andrew Goodwin. This is the most common feature of a music video regardless of the genre so I wanted to stay with this ideology. Although I used images to represent the meanings of the lyrics and genre in the form of a moving image and an actor expressing herself through the use of dance moves and so on, I ‘amplified’ my music video by using meanings and effects which were manipulated and constantly shown throughout the video and shown to the audience in the form of abstract elements which was the colourful clips of the ink in the water., which again is based on the ideology of Andrew Goodwin’s audience effect theory.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment